This threat to America is from people who deeply believe that Islam is the way and the light and the only answer. These folks believe that it is religiously driven for them to wipe Christians from the face of the earth…. They abhor Christians, and will continue to press against us until we make sure that we pray and stand and fight and make sure that we know that Jesus Christ our savior is truly the only solution for our world. – Mike Pompeo, Trump’s pick for CIA Director
The above quote was part of a speech Representative Mike Pompeo, (R-Kansas) gave to a church group in Wichita, Kansas, in 2014.
While Pompeo did not come out and directly advocate declaring war on Islam, there were several embedded “dog whistles,” (Conveniently denoted in boldface.) to get the message across. Such as: “It is religiously driven for them to wipe Christians from the face of the earth,” “make sure that we pray and stand and fight” and “Jesus Christ our savior is truly the only solution for our world.”
That last one is especially troubling. Allow me to translate down the audio spectrum: “Christianity should rule the world or we’re in deep doo-doo.”
Don’t think that the Wichita speech was a “one off.” Last year, he addressed the Summit Church in his home district. This particular church specializes in Satanism and paranormal activity. In that speech, he called the fight against radical Islam “the kind of struggle this country has not faced since its great wars.”
So, who the hell is Mike Pompeo? For starters, he’s a former army captain that thinks he knows more about military matters than the Pentagon, State Department and Obama. He’s currently been nominated to head the CIA by Donald Trump.
You might remember him as part of the Benghazi witch hunt, looking for Hillary Clinton’s “smoking gun.” (Or at least, her broomstick.) Mike never found the gun, but he still managed to shoot himself in the foot.
As you might guess, being elected in Kansas, Mike flies with his right wing only. He pushes a number of fantasies cherished by troglodytes.
- He’s anti-abortion! Even in cases of rape or incest.
- He opposes the Affordable Care Act. Despite the fact that many of his constituents depend on it.
- He doesn’t believe you need to know if your food is made with genetically modified organisms. In fact, he introduced a bill to block states from requiring mandatory GMO food labeling.
- He supports shutting down the government when he doesn’t get his way.
- He’s all for fossil fuels. Possibly because he owns an oilfield supply company.
As bad as these things may be, they don’t have a lot to do with his proposed position at the CIA. But, these do:
- He’s in favor of spying on America’s allies:
“Why would you spy on friends? Because it’s a place where you find people who are trying to do enormous harm to America.”
- He also thinks the N.S.A. needs to spy on American citizens. (Can you say “Big Brother is Watching?”)
- He’s a torture fanboy. Despite the fact that torture hardly ever results in actionable intelligence. Not to mention that it’s against national and international laws.
- He’s “skeptical” about global climate change. (See “fossil fuels” comment above.) This despite the fact that the Department of Defense asserts that climate change will affect the Pentagon’s ability to “defend the nation” and “poses immediate risks to U.S. national security.”
- As you may have noticed, he’s an Islamophobe. Not a good position to hold when trying to deal with the ongoing series of Middle East Crises. (Not to mention, it destroys the myth of American impartiality when it comes to negotiations.)
- Pompeo belongs to a group, (Member’s Bible Study) who’s illustrious members, past and present, include Jeff Sessions, Michele Bachmann, Steve King, Louie Gohmert and Mike Pence. The group is lead by Ralph Drollinger, an anti-LGBT clergyman who has called Catholicism the “world’s largest false religion.”
Referring to Pence, Sessions, and Pompeo, Dollinger stated,
Suddenly these men who have been discipled by the Church are in prominent positions of authority to change the course of America in ways that are biblical.
(Yeah, the “Revelations” part of the bible!)
Featured Image credit: Gage Skidmore